Level: Stage 1
Pre requisite A: None required
Pre requisite B: While Biology A is not a pre requisite it is highly recommended.
Additional Cost: None
Who Is This Course For?
Students interested in how life functions and to explain the diversity and complexity of life. It is part of the overall scientific process of enquiring into the living world. It is great preparation for those intending to do stage 2 Biology. No background knowledge is assumed. Good literacy and numeracy skills are highly desirable.
What Will I Learn?
- Apply science inquiry skills to design and conduct biological investigations, using appropriate procedures and safe, ethical working practices
- Obtain, record, represent, analyse, and interpret the results of biological investigations
- Evaluate procedures and results, and analyse evidence to formulate and justify conclusions
- Develop and apply knowledge and understanding of biological concepts in new and familiar contexts
- Explore and understand science as a human endeavour
- Communicate knowledge and understanding of biological concepts, using appropriate terms, conventions, and representations.
The teacher must choose 2 of these per Semester, this will occur at teacher discretion, but all will be covered throughout the whole year
- Topic 1: Cells and Microorganisms
- Topic 2: Infectious disease
- Topic 3: Multicellular organisms
- Topic 4: Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
How will I be assessed?
You will demonstrate evidence of your learning assessed as Stage 1 through the following assessment types. A minimum of four tasks will be assessed
- Investigations Folio: At least one practical investigation and one investigation with a focus on science as a human endeavour.
- Skills and Applications Tasks: At least one.