Level: Stage 1
Pre requisite: None required
Additional Cost: None
Who Is This Course For?
Good nutrition is integral to a healthy and active life, and it is important that accurate information on nutrition is made available to individuals and communities. Students of Nutrition are presented with up-to-date scientific information on the role of nutrients in the body as well as on social and environmental issues related to nutrition.
What Will I Learn?
Students of Nutrition will study three of the following choice topics:
- Macronutrients and micronutrients
- Fresh versus processed foods
- Australian dietary guidelines and nutrition in the life cycle
- The psychology of food marketing
- Indigenous Australians: food changes from the traditional to the contemporary
- Contaminated food
- Safe food handling
- Organic food versus genetically modified food
- Sustainable food futures
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed based on:
- Assessment Type 1: Investigations Folio
- Assessment Type 2: Skills and Applications Tasks.
Students will complete at least one practical investigation, issues investigation and skills and application task. A minimum of four tasks will be assessed.
This subject leads to a Stage 2 subject with an external examination, so both Nutrition A & B will have a trial exam.