Level: Stage 1
Pre requisite: None required
Who Is This Course For?
This course is for students who have a general interest in science and/or engineering. The course focuses on developing a strong understanding of the scientific method and engineering design processes. Students in Scientific studies actively investigate and respond to authentic, engaging, and complex questions, problems or challenges. They employ an interdisciplinary approach to their learning by incorporating knowledge from science, technology, engineering and math to help address the challenge or question being investigated.
What Will I Learn?
In this subject, students will be engaging with UniSA in a yearly challenge they run with high schools called STEMIE. In STEMIE there is a central theme that will be investigated through a STEM lens. Based on that theme there are four projects to complete, one for each of the areas of science, technology, engineering and maths. In this subject, you will work in small teams to complete these tasks. Successful completion of these tasks will give students the opportunity to be included in the regional showcase at UniSA in Whyalla.
- Develop and apply science inquiry skills and understanding of scientific concepts, in new and familiar contexts
- Design and conduct scientific investigations to obtain evidence, using appropriate procedures and safe, ethical working practices
- Evaluate procedures and results, represent and analyze evidence, and formulate and justify conclusions
- Evaluate the effectiveness of collaboration and its impact on results/outcomes
- Explore and understand the interaction between science and society
- Communicate knowledge and understanding of scientific concepts, using appropriate terms, conventions, and representations
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed based on:
- Assessment Type 1: Inquiry Folio. Two tasks with a focus on science inquiry skills. One investigation with a focus on science as a human endeavor in the inquiry folio.
- Assessment Type 2: One collaborative inquiry